Here is the dental routine I follow most days. It's kept me out of the dentists office for a couple of years so far. Explanations for the various steps are provided in the notes below.
| Morning |
- After breakfast, swish mouth with water, then use tepe brushes to remove bits of food between the teeth. Use dental floss for teeth very close together if necessary. Rinse mouth with water.
- Rinse mouth with 1/4-1/3 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda and some water ,. Swish in mouth for 3-5 minutes before spitting out. May also substitute for this step with a cup of green tea . Do not rinse afterwards.
- After 30-60 minutes, brush teeth with Colgate Pro-Relief toothpaste with a soft-head manual brush using a light vertical up-down motion. Swish toothpaste around in mouth for 5-10 minutes before spitting out. Do not rinse afterwards or drink for at least 30 minutes.
| Midday |
- After lunch, repeat steps 1 and 2 above.
| Evening |
- After your evening meal, swish mouth with water, then use a Waterpik with warm water and pointed rubber nozzle to clean between teeth. Thoroughly clean any periodontal pockets and around retainers or braces.
- Before bed, dip a damp soft-head electric toothbrush  into bicarbonate of soda and with it switched off, brush lightly to dissolve the bicarbonate of soda on teeth and gums. Do this for about 20-30 seconds. Then turn on the brush and brush very lightly on all surfaces for 1-2 minutes maximum.
|||Sodium Bicarbonate. OECD SIDS. CAS N°: 144-55-8.|
|||Antibacterial activity of baking soda. Drake D. Compend Contin Educ Dent Suppl. 1997;18(21):S17-21; quiz S46.|
|||Antimicrobial properties of green tea catechins. Peter W. Taylor,1 Jeremy M.T. Hamilton-Miller,2 and Paul D. Stapleton1. Food Sci Technol Bull. 2005; 2: 71–81.|
|||Powered versus manual toothbrushing for oral health (Review) Yaacob M, Worthington HV, Deacon SA, Deery C, Walmsley AD, Robinson PG, Glenny AM. The Cochrane Library 2014, Issue 6.|